Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Introduction- Gary Regan cocktail challenge

      My passion for creating cocktails is rather new and it started while I was watching the movie "Killing Them Softly" (no relation to the cocktails whatsoever). I'm not going to tell you the plot of the movie now (if you want to know, watch it), but there is a scene in that movie in which James Gandolfini and Brad Pitt are having a conversation in a bar. During that conversation, James Gandolfini knocks back about 6 Martinis like drinking water. Watching that scene, a craving for that cocktail started to grow in me so I immediately searched and bought from Amazon the cheapest cocktail set. I found a Martini recipe online and created my first cocktail at home.
         Since then, I've bought all the almost all the tools needed to make any cocktail possible.
    To be honest, I am not a fan of the Martini but through this little drink I discovered that a cocktail is more than mixing a lot of juices and a drop of alcohol in a huge glass.
     This Christmas I received "The Joy of Mixology" by Gary Regan  which I think every cocktail enthusiast should have in their library. It has all the information you need to create a proper cocktail (tools, techniques, glasses, recipes).
     Reading this book, I decided to create a cocktail every day using the receipes from the book, starting with the first receipe and preparing them in the order they appear. Of course, since I am not a millionaire, I will not use the most expensive spirits but also not the cheapest products. Balance is key, as they say.


So........Let's start.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment