Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#15 Cocktail: Alexander

   The mixing of gin, creme de cacao and cream was devised prior to 1917. The mixing might sound strange, but is delicious.

       A rehearsal of " Red, Hot and Blue" was in progress. The star of the show, Jimmy Durante, sat on a shaky chair tilted against the bare bricks in the back wall of the stage. He looked as if he were trying to get as far away from the other humans as possible. His face was haggard. When he took his cigar out of his big, ragged mouth his hands shook.
     "I can't drink" he said shivering. Only my great sense of responsibility forced me to show up at this pickle works today. I can't drink. It's alright if I take a glass of vermouth or some red wine. Yeh, that's alright. But last night I'm feeling thirsty so I go to the joint across the street and I say to the bartender, "recommend me something". So he gives me what he called an Alexander. I had about six of these Alexanders, and I get dizzy. When I go home I hit the bed and it whirls around like an electric fan. I am sick . I'm in an awful fix. I want to die" 


- Joseph Mitchell, My Ears Are Bent

2 ounces Gin
1 Ounce Creme de Cacao
1 ounce Cream


No comments:

Post a Comment